Greek Training Methods

 This past week in my foundation of leadership class we have been learning about the history of physical activity and cultures surrounding it. When we talked about the greeks and the olympics I was really fascinated and decided to start researching more. In my research I found that the greeks had a training philosophy called tetrades. Tetrades is a four day training cycle similar to training splits we see today, however the cycle was broken up into intensity and purpose rather than muscle groups. On the first day the training is focused on short explosive movements and lower in intensity, on the second day the intensity is all out focused on pushing your strength and endurance limits, the third day is a rest day but the greeks prioritized active recovery and would do meditation and other forms of relaxation like going to the hot springs, the fourth and final day of the cycle was also lower intensity focusing on skill and technique development. I found this super interesting because this would still be considered and effective and scientifically backed way to train today.

Comments

  1. Hi Wyatt I really enjoyed learning the cool history of physical activity and cultures surrounding it. I also thought it was interesting how the greeks prioritized active recovery and would do meditation and relaxation. I like how we still use alot of these methods today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Wyatt. I thought this was a pretty cool insight of not typical training methods. Now a days we are very into weight lifting and running. It's always so cool to look back and see how far we've came in not only overall but in certain fitness aspects as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts